Bronx Legal Services is the largest provider of free civil legal services in the Bronx, and one of the largest legal services offices in New York City. For fifty years we have been providing legal assistance to secure life’s basic necessities – the right to housing, food, clothing, safety, medical care, education, economic security – for the residents of several of the country’s poorest communities.
We are seeking Intake Paralegals to support the work of our office and our mission. Intake Paralegals will be expected to work closely with lawyers, clients, and community partners.
Intake Paralegals duties include:
• conducting screenings of clients including demographic and eligibility determinations;
• coordinating follow-up services including appointments, referrals, client correspondence;
• Providing information, referrals and advice under the supervision of an attorney
• opening, closing and maintaining client files;
• interpreting, translating and using language assistance resources;
• assisting with client-related matters including sending correspondence;
• entering and tracking information in electronic formats, and running reports;
• Intake Paralegal may also be asked to perform telephone intake, off-site intake and outreach.
• Experience working with a diverse low-income population; and ability to identify client’s needs quickly and accurately
• Excellent computer skills;
• Excellent writing, and communication skills;
• Prior relevant work experience; Post-high school education
• Experience entering and tracking information in electronic formats
• Proficient in Microsoft Suite;
• Bilingual in English and Spanish strongly preferred.
• Excellent organizational skills;
Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include excellent health and dental insurance, an employer contribution to a pre-tax 403(b) pension plan, and generous leave time.
To apply for the position, send a cover letter, resume, names of three references and one recent writing sample via e-mail to: Sandra Sanchez at Ssanchez@lsnyc.org. The e-mail should include “Intake Paralegal” in the subject line. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No
Bronx Legal Services is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. People of color,women, people with disabilities, people over 40, and gay, lesbian, and transgender people are allwelcome and encouraged to apply.
If you know anyone interested and qualified for these positions, please forward the information to them. You may also share with your networks.